Show/hide picture

Architecture

The Chancel (the front of the Church by the altar) and the Nave (where the pews are) were built at the end of the 11th or beginning of the the 12th Century (Norman); the Tower in the Early English style is 13th Century. The Porch is 14th Century. The building is grade 2* listed and it was included in the Architectural Guide, the great database of nationally important buildings complied by Sir Nikolaus Pevsner at the turn of the 20th century. Unfortunately the ancient bells are in disrepair and only the Sanctus bell is rung. The yew tree in the churchyard is estimated to be well over 1,000 years old and is listed in Andrew Morton’s “The Trees of Shropshire”.

Inside the Church

  • The round “Romanesque” arches over the windows – usual in 12c Churches – are probably original. The deeply recessed windows allow only slim, but very pretty, stained glass panels.
  •  The three “stepped lancet” windows and the “quatrefoil” window above the altar have 19c stained glass.
  • The font is believed to be 12c
  • The Elizabethan style Pulpit dedicated in 1899 was made by the wife of the Rev’d A. H. Gorton, Vicar 1894 – 1900. She taught woodcarving locally.
  • The unusual shaped 13c tower has a tall round headed window facing west (backwards) with louvered bell-openings on each face. Access is not permitted.
  • The diagonal ashlar buttresses on the exterior are 19c; the stone Church walls are backfilled with rubble – then as now the outer face was moving outwards. We are now rebuilding sections of the walls
  • The Brass memorial records the men from the village who lost their lives in the 1914-18 war – only a few names, but a huge loss for a village then of about 100 inhabitants.
  • [The following is extracted from original sources:
    Auden, H. M. (1915) Neen Sollars in Fletcher, W.G.D. (ed) (1915) Shropshire Parish Registers, Diocese of Hereford vol. XVI, Shropshire Parish Register Society;
    Pevsner, N. (1985) The Buildings of England - Shropshire, Penguin Books, Middlesex]

    The church of St George consists of a chancel and nave of Norman date and a rather squat tower, of a stone base with a shingled top stage and pyramid roof. The tower is probably 13C (or late 12C), though while the roof itself is old, it is probably not co-eval with the base of the tower itself. There is a long slit-like lancet in the tower. The arch toward the nave is pointed and rests on single chamfered imposts. The windows on the N and S side of the nave are Norman.

    The S doorway is late Norman, with a single order of colonnettes, the capitals with trumpet shaped scallops on the left and waterleafs on the right. The picturesque porch is 14C. It is timer framed, with rubble walls on the below and four studs above. It has a gable roof with tie-beams on big arched braces and plain wavy bargeboards. There are two early stone slabs near the door, the one inside the porch with an inscribed cross of rather unusual design.

    Inside, the church has a simple tie-beam roof in the nave, but instead of a chancel arch there is a large lintel, high up.

    The E window in the chancel is a 19C feature, rebuilt from a ruinous state by the Rev J Baker.

    The pulpit is Elizabethan, with square ornamented panels in two tiers.

    The church has three bells. One is probably of late 14C origin, though it bears no inscription. The second bell was cast by Abraham Rudhall in 1698, and the third is apparently of the 17th century, but uninscribed. A small bell, cast by Abraham Rudhall, seems to have been added in 1723.

     

    back to to parish page