Show/hide images

Architecture

The original Norman church was in a very dilapidated condition and was pulled down and rebult in 1825 by Thomas Botfield.  The church was restored in 1892.

All that remains of the original church is the Norman font, which is just in front of the pulpit, and a fragment of 14th Century glass depicting the head of St. Michael.  The Early English font is of very crude design. The present font, of perpendicular design, is modern.  It was made of local marble.

Hopton Old ChurchIn 1852 Mrs Lucy Botfield, widow of Thomas, gave the East windows.

In 1892 The fine oak chancel screen was erected, the hammer beam roof was replaced and the Reredos tryptych added, depicting the Passion of Our Lord.  All this work was the gift of Vice Admiral Robert Woodward.

There are 3 bells. The smallest is undated. The others are dated 1671 and 1708.
Hopton Wafers - old church of St Michael and All Angels

painted around 1795

The Stone Bible near the lectern was originally in the centre of the altar.  It was removed at the 1892 restoration.

The monument to Thomas Botfield in the Sanctuary was made by E Bailey. There is a funeral hatchment in the vestry.  As yet the arms have not been identified.  The Royal Arms, attachcd to the front of the organ gallery was presented to the Church by Admiral Woodward from H.M. Dockyard, Portsmouth, of which he was Commanding Officer and styled Admiral Superintendent.

The registers, which are not on public view, but can be seen by appointment, date from 1729, with a Bishop's transcript from 1638.  There is an Elizabethan chalice, with cover, also kept in the safe.  On the wall, to the right of the door, there is a plan of the seat a1location in the time of Thomas Botfield.

back to to parish page